Yes, we love Paris indeed!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 1

"It is so charming how you speak French, you have a nice little English accent." And so began week one for me in Paris. 


Day one of school. After a rushed and nervous morning getting the girls off to school I was treating myself to a strong morning coffee at a local cafe. Feeling good, people watching and writing down some thoughts in my notebook when I was interrupted by the gentleman at the next table lighting up a cigarette and asking me if I minded. He of course had to then tell me about himself and then made this lovely comment on my accent. Such a nice way to start our stay in France. 


Now some real highlights from our first week:


-   the lunches at the girls' school cafeterias! Day one for Elle was roast beef, potatoes, carrot salad, choice of 2 cheeses, 2 pieces of baguette and fruit for dessert. Nathalie had the choice of 3 cheeses, one being a strong blue cheese. Her comment when she got home was "only at a French school do you offer 11 year olds strong blue cheese!"
-    not having to make school lunches for a whole school year! 
-    my French uncle asking me with a big grin on his face "what will George DO without you for a whole year!?" Yes only in France! 
-    seeing three Parisians actually picking up their dog's poo. 
-    and of course, good coffee, amazing chocolate, wine, cheese and fresh baguettes. 

2 comments:

  1. Ingrid - how wonderful! Can I send my children to live with you as well? I'm already tired of making lunches and it's only been two days! Your photos are amazing. Amazing. I love the one of the three of the Tai girls all huddled together. Love.
    So ... what will George do???
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait -- you saw three people picking up dog poo? Are you sure you're in Paris?

    ReplyDelete