Yes, we love Paris indeed!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

What we learned on our Paris adventure.

A year ago our Paris adventure was just beginning. If it were not for the daily reminders and influences that remain in our lives, I would swear that it was all just a dream, a blur in my mind; it went far too quickly. We came home with fresh knowledge, new thoughts, opinions, having learnt so much from living away from our safe happy lives in Calgary. Some of these are Paris specific, others just from the fact from having gone away and lived new experiences.

Small rat like dogs can indeed be cute.

Frenchman can get away with wearing red, orange and yellow pants – most of them at least.

If our baguette is hot when we buy it, always buy two as one will have been inhaled by the 3 Tai girls by the time we get home, crumbs on the front of out clothes as evidence.

I love not driving and not having a car.

Wearing a scarf all the time does actually serve a purpose and is not just for looking fashionable (yes the dreaded courant d’air/draft!)

There is always something to do in Paris.

I still have my passion for photography.

Parisian pharmacists can help you with any problem.

Thank god for worldwide Apple Stores.

Yes many French women are beautiful indeed and Paris definitely is the capital of fashion.

Fresh market ingredients make our meals much tastier.

I should not keep Nutella in the house. Whole jars can quickly disappear.

Paris is not a good place to be on a diet!

We like living in an apartment and would certainly be able to survive in a smaller space.

I should always carry my camera and a notebook with me.

It is ok to be feminine.

We can make new friends.

We would be able to survive with less.

It did not take long for the girls to speak better French than I do.

Some Parisians do pick up after their dogs. Many still do not.

It is so important to always be learning and be curious.

You can get to know Parisians; you just have to make a bigger effort and be patient.

Melissa can always make me laugh so hard until tears are running down my face.

Nathalie and Gabrielle look fabulous dressed like young Parisian girls.

10 days with Jackie is not nearly enough.

Even in a large city like Paris one can get a sense of community and belonging.

When I asked Gabrielle what she learned in Paris her response was “that I have a big family! And that I can ride a scooter really well.”

The French are interested in someone who is different and not the Parisian mold.

I can ride a bike in a skirt and heels (don’t have to be in full athletic gear.)

We all have a sense of adventure and the travel bug.

We would be able to live somewhere other than Calgary.

We are all adaptable –the girls probably more so than I.

We adore our Paris family.

“I’m not as shy as I thought I was and I can make friends easily” was Nathalie’s big revelation about herself during this year. And she certainly loved her independence.

Living across the hallway from my mother works. We so enjoyed having her as part of our every day lives. Yes we did not do all the museum visits and activities we envisioned but mealtimes, walks, the marche, panaches on the terrasse, café sur le balcon, spending our every day lives together was indeed lovely. Our year would not have been possible or the same without her.

We don’t want to live away from George.

I don’t need to fit in.

Nathalie and Gabrielle certainly rise to the occasion. Bravo les filles!

Life in Canada is easy.

Family is everything.

I can write

Alone time is important.

I can be independent.

Change is good.

Paris IS magical.

How lucky we are.

And would we do it again? In a heartbeat, tout de suite, bien sur!


1 comment:

  1. As insightful, entertaining and well written as ever, Ingrid. I, for one, am glad to have you three back in Calgary!
    xo

    ReplyDelete