Yes, we love Paris indeed!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ingrid's Top Ten Lists

TOP EIGHT THINGS I'M NOT GOING TO MISS ABOUT PARIS

I could not even come up with 10 here! That is a good thing!

8. Motorcycles driving on the sidewalks. You are a vehicle, not a pedestrian - get on the road!

7. Too many friggin' tourists most of the year. In some areas you really have to fight your way through the crowds.

6. The humidity. Winters chill you to the bone and the hot summer days are rather dreadful (yes it is +34 degrees C out as I write this.)

5. Expensive life, expensive everything!

4. "Kids at school asking me what the F word means." This one is from Gabrielle as I could not come up with enough of my own.

3. Racism. I don't know how many times I have heard this year that all the problems in France are caused by immigrants. And calling the man who owns the corner store "the little arab" and then saying that this is acceptable as it is part of the culture. Don't get my started on these.

2. Cigarette smoke, cigar smoke, 2nd hand smoke, smokers in general. Parents smoking around their children and pushing baby strollers with a cigarette in their hand.

1. And the number one thing I'm not going to miss about Paris....yes, all the dreaded, messy, smelly dog poo on the sidewalks and in the streets of this lovely city!


TOP TEN THINGS I'M GOING TO MISS ABOUT PARIS

- of course, these are, besides the obvious, like my wonderful French family & my new friends - it was difficult to stop at 10, there is so much we are going to miss!

10. Well dressed, good looking men, in nicely tailored, fitted suits. The men here know how to dress. And you never tire of getting an appreciative look from them as you walk on by.

9. The Metro - convenient & easy. And the metro rumbling under the apartment. Love the feeling & sound. Makes me feel alive!

8. Velib System. The pick up & drop off bike system is great and so convenient. After saying when I first arrived "I would never ride a bike in Paris," I did, and often. Even managed to do so in a skirt & heels!

7. Our tiny 50sq m apartment. Easy, intimate & low maintenance! And our fabulous balcony.

6. The girls' excellent schools. Walking to and from school. No driving/being a school bus for 10 months was lovely!

5. Dare I say it, but the French people! Their passion; lively discussions, encores at the theatre, not being afraid to express their opinions, and yes, often saying exactly what they are thinking. Funny how I did not appreciate this trait much while growing up with a French mother though.

4. The baguettes, les pains au chocolats, le fromage, the wine, all zee food! And importantly, le marche with my Apple Man! No saran wrapped food for a year was refreshing.

3. Weekends at the family country house. Relaxing, enjoyable, beautiful setting, fresh air and spending time with our loving French family. Seeing my girls chasing their little French cousins around the yard made this whole year worth it.

2. My Writing Group. Inspiration, motivation, helpful ideas and friendship.

1. And the number one thing I'm going to miss about Paris...how Paris makes me feel! I feel alive, free, adventurous, curious, impulsive, feminine, sexy, like anything is possible. There is always something new, something to do, always learning, discovering, about the city, about the people and about myself.

As Audrey Hepburn said in Sabrina,

"PARIS IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA"

No comments:

Post a Comment